13 March 2017

International Women's Day

     In honor of International Women’s Day last week, I wanted to share one of my favorite Bible stories of women friendship.
A few days later Mary hurried to the hill country of Judea, to the town where Zechariah lived. She entered the house and greeted Elizabeth.  At the sound of Mary’s greeting, Elizabeth’s child leaped within her, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Elizabeth gave a glad cry and exclaimed to Mary, “God has blessed you above all women, and your child is blessed.  Why am I so honored, that the mother of my Lord should visit me?  When I heard your greeting, the baby in my womb jumped for joy.  You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what he said.”   – Luke 1:39-45
     What a beautiful friendship between women these verses describe.  It shows how we are to be in community with one another as women.  And here’s a quote from one of my favorite books on women discipleship that references this friendship:
When the Holy Spirit in one woman recognizes the Holy Spirit in another woman safe places become sacred places.  —“Giddy Up Eunice” by Sophie Hudson
     We all need each other as women in the body of Christ!  I pray you have women in your life that you are in community with and that imitates Mary and Elizabeth's sweet, deep, friendship focused on the Lord!
     I also pray that you would know you are loved, chosen, and valued as a woman of God!  Thank a woman in your life that has inspired you, that has discipled you, or that you disciple and let them know they are important in your life.

Trudy Woodward
Permanent Supportive Housing Director

No comments: