06 July 2017

My Streets of Omaha Experience

     After ministering to the hungry and homeless during our Streets of Omaha ministry, I always ask our volunteers to share one thing they learned and one thing they loved about their experience.  Here are some answers I have gotten:

"I love that Open Door Mission, serves people not just inside their walls, but out in the community as well.  I am truly blessed by this organization’s love for people."

"I learned that people on the streets are generally very thankful and polite."

"I loved meeting Jay.  He was so kind and gentle. I loved that he talked freely to us and welcomed us into his life."

"I learned that even when they have next to nothing, people on the streets are so generous with what they do have.  I was touched by the kindness of our street friends."

"I love being able to be the hands and feet of Jesus, right here where I live."

     These are some comments made by volunteers on the Streets of Omaha team.  The experience is different every day, but one thing remains the same: people are being impacted and loved.  We strive to show the love of Jesus to people everywhere, and we do that one sack lunch at a time. 

Jessica Coffey
Volunteer Program Coordinator

No comments: